The best thing about this cake?? The colour!!! It’s a complete sunshine, sunflower, banana yellow! So beautiful. It just made me want to gobble it all up. I did my best to stop after two slices. I may have eaten three.
It is a flourless cake, and it is made with ground almonds. But, nut allergies, you ask??? Yes, I know there is a risk of allergies, since she has never had any before. However, I figured that I would rather have her eat almonds at home, and watch carefully for reactions that be out and about and have something go wrong.
Thankyou to my lovely playgroup-Mum-buddy Kate for this recipe! You can find the original recipe here. However, I tweaked it a little and here is mine:
- about 8 baby mangoes
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 3 eggs
- 2 eggs worth of olive oil (because eggs are expensive!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
1. Puree the mangoes in a food processor.
2. Add the almonds & baking powder into the food processor and mix.
3. Slowly add the eggs & olive oil on a low speed.
4. Put in pan and bake for half an hour in my crazy oven, but I suspect much longer in a normal oven. Until a knife comes out clean.
(excuse the slops on the side… I had a very short window of opportunity to bake this one… very hurried!)
Thumbs up from this one!
It looks much yellow-er in real life!
The pictures aren’t great… I could only find my mobile at the time! Sorry!
Here are some of my other successful baby led weaning recipes: