Now and again I send cash back home. I have to set aside a big chunk of my day to do this. Yesterday, I arrived at the bank and there wasn’t a soul there, except for me. It still took 50 minutes. What the?!?!?!?
I decided to entertain myself by counting the steps involved in a simple international bank transfer. Which, if I was in Australia, I could do entirely online. Or, at the bank with possibly no paperwork? I’m not sure. Maybe one form?
So, today’s transaction included:
- punching my password into the machine three times
- signing my name eight times
- photocopying four tax documents and ‘proof of employment’
- photocopying my passport, visa, worker’s permit
- and, processing five forms, which (with the carbon copies) were actually nine pages
Full on, huh? Just imagine the filing cabinets they must have.